Tuesday 11 February 2014

Ground control to Major Tom

Alright, I'm kindda lost on writing blog posts again (got way too used to short facebook posts, it seems).
I decide to revive this blog, which I ended up abandoning for various reasons I don't even know when, so I could keep going with documenting the process, and have some place t put all that in.

This is something I actually posted on my facebook page in december and january, and shows the stages of the mask making after it comes out of the plaster mold.

So, the base preparation process: the first image is the progression of the base before painting, from when it leaves the mold to the final coating of acrylic plaster.

Building the base takes 3 to 4 hours (some less, some more. It depends on the details and difficulty of the form). When it's dry it is taken out and smoothed with a brush to get rid of any imperfections, and then it gets two coats of acrylic paste. After drying it gets thoroughly sanded, and finished with two coats of acrylic plaster. 

After this process, it is ready to be painted.





The painting process. It varies a lot. In the case of this specific mask I used a coat of white and then added the colour details, all in acrylics (you don't really want to paint mask with oils....well, at least I don't. It becomes a nightmare to hold them, and it will take forever to dry, since they have glue and will not absorb the oils)


After that there's the finishing touch. In this case I used a cracked finish on the white, and enhanced the cracks with black wax. After that it only needs a coat of varnish, and it's done.


On another topic, I'm going through a Bowie fase right now, saw an amazing exhibit on him and his career in São Paulo. Fell in love with this version of The Man Who Sold The World, too bad I couldn't find the actual video.




Thank you for reading, and see you in the next post!

Andy

Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Andy Ferrari Studio All rights reserved | Theme Designed by Seo Blogger Templates